Friday 8 October 2010

Soft Play / Germ Factory?

Ok, I didn't think I would be a paranoid mamma, but I pretty much know that the Moomin caught the flu virus that has haunted us for almost three weeks at her first soft play session and it has led to much debate amongst me and my mummy friends - we all want our babes to enjoy the fun of soft play and mixing with children other than those of our immediate social network, but is it worth the risk of our precious little ones being constantly ill from picking up germs? Not only is it miserable for them, its miserable for us mums, as we return to the days of mothering a new born who wakes up at all hours of the night howling. 

Honestly, with Moomin having got through to 8 months old without so much as a cough, its been such a shock to the system dealing with several weeks of sick baby. We've had to cancel a bunch of fun stuff, be super careful not to spread the lurghy amongst friends and oh the hours of sleep that we need to catch up on, but that I fear I never will. 

What is the consensus amongst mothers of babies and small children? What is the best plan of action for the winter months ahead?